What is Social Media Day?
Social Media Day is an internationally recognized day to celebrate the ways in which social media has changed our lives for the better. It’s celebrated around the world! It’s a chance to interact and meet new people offline that you’re engaging with online. Social Media Day San Diego has been one of the top Social Media Day events WORLD-WIDE for the past few years that features both education and networking.
History of Social Media Day San Diego
- Launched in 2010 by Mashable as a way to recognize the digital revolution happening right before our eyes
- In 2010, there were 600 meetups in 90 countries
- In 2011, there were 1,400 meetups with thousands of attendees
- Many cities and a few states have declared June 30th Social Media Day, including New York City and the state of Arizona
- In 2012, Mayor Jerry Sanders officially proclaimed June 30th Social Media Day San Diego
- In 2012, San Diego had the largest Social Media Day Meetup world-wide.
- In 2013, San Diego added educational sessions to Social Media Day and once again had one of the most successful Social Media Day events on the planet.
- Social Media Day San Diego has featured some of the biggest names in social media marketing including Mari Smith, Amy Porterfield, John Lee Dumas, Lynette Young, Stacy Zepar, Michael Stelzner, Martin Shervington, and many more.
- Social Media Day San Diego has featured some the social media experts of San Diego’s most popular brands and organizations including Qualcomm, Petco, San Diego Chargers, UT San Diego, San Diego Magazine, and many more.
- You can check out photos from previous #SMDAYSD events right here and here and here.